My Family

My Family

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cute Fabric Keychains

So a couple years ago my mother-in-law got me the cutest fabric key chain and I have been wanting another one for awhile. I couldn't find any while shopping, so I decided that I would just have to make one.
Here are a couple finished ones...
Here is the how to:
I started by purchasing:
two different fabrics (one for the inside and one for the outside)
fusible interfacing
1 key chain piece (I found mine at Hobby Lobby, you can also get a purse strap clip)
ribbon
thread

First, cut the two fabrics so they measure 2.5 (2 and a half) inches by 13 inches. Also, cut one strip of fusible interface to measure .75 inches by 12 inches.
Iron the sides of both strips of fabric so that the width will fit in the key chain holder that you purchased. Mine ended up with about 1.5 inches width.
Put the fabrics together with the fabric interface between the two. Iron all together. Then sew the two coordinating fabrics along both edges. I sewed mine fairly close to the edge.

Next up, take your key chain clip and slide in onto the key chain. Be sure that the clip is on top of the material you want to be on the outside of your key chain. Then, sew the two ends together overlapping just a little. I usually go over this a few times so it is a strong hold.
Now it's time to do something with the ribbon. Cut the ribbon so it is about 4-5 inches long. Burn the edges with a lighter or match so that it doesn't unravel. Move the purse clip around the key chain until the seam is about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch above the clip. Take the ribbon and wrap it around the area where the two ends have been sewn together. Tuck both ends of the ribbon to the inside of the key chain.
Sew along all four edges.

You can also use a color thread that matches the ribbon such as this:

And there you have it! Now you have a cute and functional key chain!


No comments:

Post a Comment