My Family

My Family

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Cute Little Bag

I saw this idea on Pinterest and wanted to give it a try. Plus, I'm just obsessed with sewing, especially over summer break. I am loving trying new things and plus I get a cute outcome! Look at this CUTE bag!!

It honestly was super easy. It took about an hour, but I think when I do it again it will go faster. (Most of the time I blog about these just so I will remember how I made stuff!...but seriously, if you like sewing then give it a try!)

You will need:
1/2 yard of 2 different fabrics (I used Printed Duck since it's a thick fabric. It just seemed more durable to me!)
2 yards coordinating webbing
1/4 yard batting


Cute the fabric to these measurements:
2 pieces of batting 15 x 10
2 bag pieces 15 x 20.5 (make sure your fabric is going to right way if it matters. The 15" side will go from left to right.)
2 pocket pieces 15 x 16.5 (again make sure your fabric is going the right way, the 15" side wide will go from left to right.)
Webbing - cut into 2 equal pieces, each 1 yard


Now that everything is cut, let's begin!

Fold your pocket piece in half and press. Then layer your pieces batting on bottom, bag piece and then the folded pocket piece. 

You should have two sets of these. 
Now pin the straps to the fabric. Start at the bottom and the straps need to be centered and about 4" from each other. 

Do this to both
Now it's time to sew! You are going to sew the webbing to all 3 layers. Starting at one cut end of the webbing, sew along the edge of the strap. You will stitch past the pocket and all the way up to where the batting ends. Pivot your fabric with the needle down and sew along the other side of the webbing. Do this to the other side and then to the other piece. 

Now place your two sides right sides facing each other and pin along the edge. (Watch out for the straps)
Sew along the edge. You will need to leave about a 5" opening at the top (the bag fabric, the thinnest part that you are sewing right now, right in the center.)

After you sew all around, leaving the 5" opening at the top, it is time to do the corners. Take each corner and press it down. Pin it so it is 2" from the corner and 4" aross. 
Do this to all 4 corners. 

Then sew along where you pinned it. After you sew, you can then cut the excess fabric from the corners. 
Then take your fabric and make it right side out. 
You will then need to top stitch just the top of the bag! 
You will also want to close the 5" opening in the inside. Look how cute the inside is!!

The bag didn't turn out as big as I thought it would. It's about 9&1/2" tall and 14" wide. I think tomorrow I'm going to try another one but double the size of everything!

Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment