My Family

My Family

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

February 4, 1920 - June 15, 2016

Those dates symbolize a long and beautiful life that my grandpa lived.
1920 - 2016 ** 96 years! I can only imagine all of the changes that my grandpa got to see in his lifetime!
Last Wednesday was definitely a hard day for my family because we had to say goodbye to a man that had built a legacy! Look at this family...
This photo was taken YEARS ago! I don't know the exact date, but I'm the little girl in the polka dot shorts, so I can only guess that I'm in lower elementary school. I am the youngest of my cousins and now most of my cousins are married and have 1 to 5 kids. So this picture was really just the start of our huge family!

Peter Anthony (Tony) Weller, 96, a resident of Holland, died Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at home. He was born February 4, 1920 at home in Holland, to Peter and Huberdina Weller.
After graduating from Holland High School, his love of airplanes led him to earn a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering at the University of Michigan. While in college, he met Evelyn Mulder, also from Holland, and they were married on November 27, 1943. His career took him to Bay City, Syracuse, NY, Detroit, Dover, NH, and Rockford, IL, working in aeronautics, air conditioning, automotives, and tool and die. An even more significant aspect of his life was his commitment to Jesus Christ which began early in his marriage, mainly through watching Evelyn's life of faith. He was very involved in music and youth work in the local church wherever they lived. As a member of Beechwood Church for the past 26 years, he was active in sharing his faith with others.
He was a loving husband and father to the 5 children with whom God blessed him and enjoyed community activities, especially after retirement. He was very involved in HASP (Hope Academy of Senior Professionals), Evergreen Tulip Time Luncheon Show, SCORE, tutoring in schools and most recently, presenting his own musical programs in various retirement and nursing homes, as well as hosting recitals by young musicians at his home.
He was preceded in death by his wife of 69 years, Evelyn Weller; 2 brothers, John of Jenison, and Peter Jr. of Ft. Collins, CO; and a grandson, David Martin of Syracuse, NY. He is survived by children, Susan and Norm Kapp of Carol Stream, IL, Nancy and John Black of Wheaton, IL, John and Diane Weller of Tulsa, OK, Frederick and Jan Weller of Plymouth, and Sally and Bob Martin of Shrewsbury, MA; as well as 13 grandchildren; and 13 great grandchildren. He is also survived by one brother, Hubert (Herb) and Ann Weller of Holland; a sister-in-law, Jennie Weller of Colorado; 5 nephews and nieces, and several cousins.
Visitation will be at Langeland Sterenberg Funeral Home, 315 E. 16th St., Holland, MI on Monday, June 20, 2016 from 5-8 p.m. A memorial service is being planned for late July at the Beechwood Church. Memorial gifts may be directed to: Resthaven, Hospice of Holland, Beechwood Church Mission Fund, "Dr. John Mulder" Memorial Scholarship Fund at Hope College, "The Weller Family Scholarship Fund" at Wheaton College in Illinois, or "Tony and Evelyn Weller Community Fund" at Community Foundation of Holland/Zeeland. 


I loved the words my cousin Nancy wrote the day he passed away: I can imagine my grandfather singing How Great Thou Art as he entered into glory this morning - with the full strength of his beautiful tenor voice and renewed use of his lungs. A month ago, I had the privilege of sitting with him and talking through what we anticipated was coming - it's a moment I'll cherish always - he was looking at it as yet another move, like he & my grandmother had done so much in their married life - just another move. He wasn't attached to this world though he fought the good fight for 96 years and left a tremendous legacy - a family who loves him dearly, a legacy of faith, of love for one another, of hope and determination (sometimes referred to as stubbornness) - he was afterall 100% Dutch and we love him, delightful quirks and all! 

The last couple months my grandpa's health had taken a turn for the worse and we were really hoping to see him at the end of July for our annual family reunion. Thankfully, everyone in my family is still planning to attend the family reunion and at that time we will get to celebrate my grandpa's life. I am so glad that I had 28 years with him even though we have always lived states away. He is someone that loved the Lord above all else and he had a selfless love for my grandmother, which has always been a great example to me and my whole family. We love you grandpa and miss you dearly!







June 15th was also a tough day because one of my best friends would have been celebrating her 29th birthday. Emily, I miss you dearly and think of you often! I miss hearing your loud laugh and getting caught up on OSU sports lingo so I can sound impressive when Trevor talks to me about sports! LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment